Wopsie the Cat Aviation Competition
Inspired by the true story of Wopsie the Cat
On 2 July 1919, the first airship to travel across the Atlantic from east to west, left East Fortune in Scotland. It arrived in Long Island, New York four days later.
During the flight, the crew found a cat called Wopsie who had been smuggled on board by stowaway William Ballantyne (pictured below), one of the airship engineers who was supposed to stay behind to save weight.
Wopsie was lucky to be a part of aviation history but she doesn’t want her adventures to end!
What do you think Wopsie’s next aviation adventure should be? We want you design a ship that can take Wopsie into the next stage of aviation.
To enter Leonardo's RAF100-inspired competition, simply draw your invention on a piece of paper or build it with any materials you choose, take a photo of it and send it to us via Twitter at @Leonardo_UK using the hashtag #WopsiesTale or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All you need is your imagination!
Entries must be received by midnight Friday 12 October 2018, and the national winner will be chosen by a joint panel of Leonardo and RAF representatives. The winner will be announced on Friday 26 October 2018.
(Helpful note: When you create your design, make sure you find a way to overcome the force of gravity so your invention can fly! Gravity is a force which draws objects towards the centre of a planet. The force of gravity keeps all the planets in orbit around the sun and it makes sure that when you jump up you land back on the ground instead of floating off into space! We can’t wait to see what you’ll invent!)
- Entry to the competitions is restricted to one entry per person please.
- Multiple entries will be disqualified.
- Automated entries, bulk entries or third party entries will be disqualified!
- The Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be contacted via their Twitter account or email (depending on how an entry was received)
- Please be advised that Leonardo may use publicity generated from your design on social media and the national press, which in turn will include details of the winning entrants.
- Leonardo’s website is compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU 679/2016). Our policy is such that we will not pass on your details to any third party without your prior consent.