Why did you join Leonardo?
I was attracted to the Leonardo Apprentice Scheme because of the fascinating array of products that Leonardo produces, and the chance to learn first-hand what skills are critical for different career paths. You get the chance to try various engineering placements so you can decide which area you most enjoy and which you can excel in. I was also given the opportunity to continue studying and complete a Bachelor's degree in Electronic Engineering.
Towards the end of my apprenticeship, I was incredibly honoured to be a finalist in the 2016 Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) Apprentice of the Year award.
What does your job entail?
As a Hardware Engineer, it is my responsibility to design new electronics, as well as repair and test existing products. The required tasks can vary from week-to-week, and can include designing and simulating electronics using various CAD software packages; conducting scientific trials on new technologies; repairing damaged military equipment; and surveying for new systems overseas.
My current contributions within this role have included:
- Detailed failure analysis of our Hawk cameras to establish any common issues during manufacture and developing methods of improving this process
- Completing a System Survey for a new offshore oil rig surveillance system
- Designing a new memory PCB to improve a targeting system on the RMS Type 23 Frigate
- Testing of our Horizon camera, used on the BBC ‘Planet Earth II’ series, to meet ONVIF specification for Video over IP (VoIP) so that the camera can be controlled over a network
- Completing a scientific study on the performance of various laser range finders
What do you like most about your job?
The variety of hands-on, academic and design tasks ensures my work is always interesting. Leonardo is also always looking to invest in training and rewards for their employees, making my work and contributions feel appreciated.
Why would you recommend someone works for Leonardo?
At whatever level you join the company, Leonardo provides excellent support to build experience and training. The apprenticeship programme provides experience at every level of the company, the graduate scheme helps to fill the gap between university and experienced engineers, and Leonardo is always pushing for new and current engineers to achieve professional qualifications and accreditations. I would recommend Leonardo for any individual who is looking for an exciting and challenging career with lots of rewards.