Tomorrow's Engineers Week
Tomorrow's Engineers Week is led by EngineeringUK and the Royal Academy of Engineering, and is focussed on inspiring the next generation of engineers. Taking place from 5-9 November 2018, Tomorrow's Engineers Week aims to change perceptions of engineering among young people (focusing on 11-14 year olds), their parents and teachers. The week celebrates the everyday engineering heroes that design, create and innovate to improve our lives.
As a global high tech company, Leonardo recognises that the future success of our business is dependent on the future generations' passion for engineering and technological excellence. As such, we currently employ over 400 engineering, business and cyber graduates and apprentices around the UK. We currently have over 150 early career vacancies available at our six sites, to start in autumn 2019.
This year, we are continuing to participate in a range of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) engagements, including:
and will be engaging further through a range of outreach activities taking place during Tomorrow's Engineers Week 2018, including:
- Open University Virtual Careers Fair
- Royal Institute Masterclass – part 3 of the series, entitled ‘Pi Face’ (3 November)
- Cranfield University Careers Fair (6 November)
- Swansea University Careers Fair (8 November)
- RAeS Careers in Aerospace and Aviation LIVE 2018 (9 November)
- Royal Institute Masterclass – part 4 of the 6-part series, entitled ‘Hot Stuff’ (10 November)
Throughout the week, our sites in Edinburgh, Luton, Yeovil, Basildon and Southampton are also hosting LottieDolls as part of the Women's Engineering Society's #LottieTour. To see what engineering tasks Lottie is getting involved in, you can follow her progress on our Leonardo UK Twitter channel.
Providing opportunities for the next generation of engineers
We offer a variety of ways for the next generation of aspiring engineers to develop the skills and expertise that will enable them to build an exciting and rewarding career in engineering:
- Our Graduate Development Programme provides graduates with the best possible start to their career, excellent prospects and great development opportunities across the company to drive change and innovate
- Our Apprenticeship opportunities and programmes have been rated "Outstanding" by OFSTED. Participants reap the rewards of working within a leading technology provider, whilst developing their own skill set and professional qualifications for their future careers.
- Our industrial internships and summer placements offer the opportunity to gain invaluable workplace experience while studying towards your degree. Offering placements and work experience is invaluable to employers and students, enabling them to understand the full diversity of a STEM-based career.
Leonardo is also a committed supporter of UK Government-led initiatives to improve the number of young people choosing STEM as a career choice.
We are also proud to be signed up to the 5% Club – a proactive initiative where companies show their commitment to achieve the target of having 5% of their overall UK workforce on a formalised apprentice, sponsored student and/or graduate programme within five years.