The Graduate Development Programme, based in Yeovil, is designed to support your first steps after leaving university and to help you develop your career. Through a comprehensive two-year programme, you will have the chance to gain a complete understanding of the organisation and be involved in real challenges from day one. You will have the opportunity to learn from colleagues who are experts in their field, while always being encouraged to use your initiative.
Typically your placements will consist of 3-6 month rotations across the Transmissions department including the opportunity to do an external placement elsewhere in the business. The Transmissions graduate scheme is a fantastic way to gain practical experience in a wide spectrum of disciplines which a direct entry position cannot always offer. Additionally, you can begin to build a network of contacts, which will assist you in your future development.
Alongside the core placements, the graduate scheme supports your personal development, such as DISC profiling and personal branding workshops, all with the aim of making you into an all-round professional.
Upon successfully completing the scheme the plan is to transition you into a full time role within the company, with a vision to progress within Leonardo.
TCoE is part of a multi-site organisation that is the Centre of Excellence for Transmissions and Mechanical Parts Production based in Yeovil. The other sites in the Centre of Excellence are Cascina Costa, Frosinone and Benevento, in Italy. Our activities are broad, covering both military and civil helicopters, and functionally contain all aspects of a business unit; design, manufacturing engineering, material planning, detail manufacture, sub contract management, quality control and assembly.
The entire team works together and is focused on the following three key areas:
- Production line support by delivering product to quality cost and schedule
- Production support to development of new aircraft Transmissions systems to quality, cost and schedule
- Deliver business improvement activities through our First Order of Business Issue (FOBI) initiatives to enhance and improve our business performance
Please note that the nature of the graduate programme is very much a development role, therefore the responsibilities outlined below are not an exhaustive list and is very much subject to change.
Key Job Accountabilities
Responsibilities may include:
- Potential Graduate Placements
- Manufacturing Engineering projects linked to:
- Gear manufacture
- Complex machining
- Assembly & Test
- Key project investment
- Process security
- Process improvements linked to First Order Business Issues
- In sourcing projects
- Design & Make/Buy projects i.e. AW609
- Works Analysis projects linked to:
- Advancement of cost reduction via awareness & process improvement
- Development of capacity planning & work load modelling
- Programmes projects linked to:
- Existing & new programmes management (Including AW609, T129, AW139, AW169, AW189 & AW159)
- Supply Chain projects linked to improve:
- Design, Development & Test
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Organisation skills and ability to prioritise tasks
- Industry experience beneficial but not essential
- Tenacity, fresh thinking and enthusiasm
- Analytical mind
- A strong team player
- Conscientious and keen to learn
- A keen interest in pursuing a career in engineering
- Must have been a permanent UK resident for a minimum of the past five years in order to meet security requirements
- Minimum 2:1 Bachelors or Masters
- The Leonardo Helicopter Graduate Development Programme is a two-year programme that allows graduates to complete a number of 3-6 month placements designed to provide practical experience within the organisation
- Alongside this, graduates complete a number of development activities at company and group level, which aim to ensure a smooth integration into the company whilst providing essential skills, knowledge and networking opportunities
- With over 230 trainees at Leonardo Helicopters, from apprentices to graduates, a thriving social network exists with regular organised social events to integrate newcomers
- Graduates will be based primarily within our Yeovil manufacturing HQ in Somerset; but potential opportunities for secondments and international travel exist
- Support for relocation is available
- Flexible working hours
- Competitive salary
- Attractive pension scheme
Personal Data provided via this application process will be handled by Leonardo MW Ltd as Data Controller and by its authorised third parties in accordance with applicable data protection law and as described in the company's Data Privacy statement.
Leonardo represents a unique opportunity for a career-minded person to have the best of both worlds; a challenging role with career development prospects and a quality of life that is hard to equal.
As one of the leading helicopter manufacturers in the world, Leonardo Helicopters is part of the multi-national Leonardo Group of world class engineering companies. Leonardo Helicopters designs, develops and manufactures an unrivalled range of the most advanced helicopters, rotary wing technology, also developing mission and performance critical systems. Our helicopters are used extensively in civil and military roles worldwide. Primary operations are in the UK, Italy, Poland and the USA.