UK Government Business Graduate
The Business Graduate Development Programme, based in Yeovil, is designed to support your first steps after leaving university and to help you develop your career. Through a comprehensive two-year programme, you will have the chance to gain a complete understanding of the organisation and be involved in real challenges from day one. You will have the opportunity to learn from colleagues who are experts in their field, while always being encouraged to use your initiative.
Typically your placements will consist of 3-6 month rotations across the UK Government Business Unit (UKGBU) department including the opportunity to do an external placement elsewhere in the business. The UKGBU provides the link between the customer and our world-class manufacturing and engineering business, focusing on In Service Delivery and Business Acquisition activities. The UKGBU delivers capability to the UK Armed Forces via an innovative contracting and through-life approach by sustained skills and design authority support, and by achieving best in class service provision.
The UKGBU graduate scheme is a fantastic way to gain practical experience in a wide spectrum of business disciplines, which a direct entry position cannot always offer. Additionally, you can begin to build a network of contacts, which will assist you in your future development.
Alongside the core placements, the graduate scheme supports your personal development, such as DISC profiling and personal branding workshops, all with the aim of making you into an all-round professional.
Upon successfully completing the scheme, the plan is to transition you into a full-time role within the company, with a vision to progress within Leonardo.
Please note that the nature of the graduate programme is very much a development role, therefore the responsibilities outlined below are not an exhaustive list and is very much subject to change.
Key Job Accountabilities
Responsibilities may include:
- Experience of, and possibly conducting, a Ccontract negotiation to ensure the company commercial position is protected and profitability is maximised
- Contract Management including identification, analysis and resolution of issues
- Contributing to the pricing of tasks
- Development and evaluation of commercial proposals
- Establish effective working relationships with the Ministry of Defence, sSuppliers and internal department interfaces
- Establishing, managing and leading the bid team
- Preparing and executing the bid preparation programme
- Preparing and managing the bid budget
- Sound team working skills and the ability to interface with and manage virtual teams.
- Good business awareness, including knowledge of overall strategy and UKGBU requirements for order intake and resource
- Sound project management skills
- Pro-active, able to work using own initiative to achieve demanding deadlines
- Detail conscious and commercially aware
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Organisation skills and ability to prioritise tasks
- Industry experience beneficial but not essential
- Tenacity, fresh thinking and enthusiasm
- Analytical mind
- A strong team player
- Conscientious and keen to learn
- A keen interest in pursuing a career in business
- Must have been a permanent UK resident for a minimum of the past five years in order to meet security requirements
- Minimum 2:1 Bachelors or Masters
- The Leonardo Helicopter Graduate Development Programme is a two-year programme that allows graduates to complete a number of 3-6 month placements designed to provide practical experience within the organisation
- Alongside this, graduates complete a number of development activities at company and group level, which aim to ensure a smooth integration into the company whilst providing essential skills, knowledge and networking opportunities
- With over 230 trainees at Leonardo Helicopters, from apprentices to graduates, a thriving social network exists with regular organised social events to integrate newcomers
- Graduates will be based primarily within our Yeovil manufacturing HQ in Somerset; but potential opportunities for secondments and international travel exist
- Support for relocation is available
- Flexible working hours
- Competitive salary
- Attractive pension scheme
What our current graduate has been up to during their time in UKGBU
- Managed commercial proposal from customer request to contract signature
- Contributed to the negotiation of contract amendments
- Visited RNAS Yeovilton to see how our Sservice contracts are delivered
- Worked with Italian colleagues to negotiate price for a further 6 six aircraft to be built
- Visited Italian colleagues in Italy for contract negotiations
- Managed a bid team of 10 people to submit proposal to customer
- External placement was spent in Business acquisition and strategy, which involved working closely with the Managing Director and senior managers and learning about key strategic issues in the business
Personal Data provided via this application process will be handled by Leonardo MW Ltd as Data Controller and by its authorised third parties in accordance with applicable data protection law and as described in the company's Data Privacy statement.
Leonardo represents a unique opportunity for a career-minded person to have the best of both worlds; a challenging role with career development prospects and a quality of life that is hard to equal.
As one of the leading helicopter manufacturers in the world, Leonardo Helicopters is part of the multi-national Leonardo Group of world class engineering companies. Leonardo Helicopters designs, develops and manufactures an unrivalled range of the most advanced helicopters, rotary wing technology, also developing mission and performance critical systems. Our helicopters are used extensively in civil and military roles worldwide. Primary operations are in the UK, Italy, Poland and the USA.