Why did you join Leonardo?
I joined Leonardo on the company’s Graduate Scheme as a Hardware Engineer. This was after completing my Master’s degree from the University of Glasgow which incorporated a couple of internships at the company’s Edinburgh site. I saw joining the company as an opportunity to challenge myself and to see just what I could achieve in an advanced technological company with the knowledge and skills obtained from my education.
What does your job entail?
After joining the company, I was presented with a whole new challenge of real life engineering which was completely different from what I thought it would be. My responsibilities have varied greatly and have included but not limited to:
- Definition and capture of tasks required to deliver new Line Replacement Units for the AESA Surveillance Radar Systems
- Top level requirement flow down to lowest level design where it gets implemented and tested
- Liaising with different engineering departments to find and implement the right solution
- Providing firmware support for development, integration, qualification and maintenance activities
- Delivering firmware designs for the new AESA Scanner after completing the company design process.
However, it is not just the technical skills that help me resolve a problem. I am also developing my communication skills, soft skills, organisational skills and managerial skills as I progress.