Engineering Career Opportunities
As a Leonardo engineer, you will be part of a world-class team creating, designing, testing and qualifying engineering solutions to the required standards of timeliness, performance, quality, safety and cost. Our engineers play a key role in major civil, security and defence programmes around the world, covering hardware, software and systems development.
- Hardware engineers are involved in the full lifecycle of a product, from requirement capture through prototyping, schematic capture and simulation, and then onto supporting Printed Circuit Board (PCB) layout and manufacture before build, test and qualification.
- Software engineers play a key role in the whole product development lifecycle, developing high-integrity, real-time embedded software for Leonardo’s world-class products. Our software is vital to delivering the capability of our products in areas such as: command and control, tracking, signal processing, image processing, navigation, HMI, interfacing and communications.
- Systems engineers are pivotal to ensuring our product designs are optimised to meet a wide range of challenging requirements, designing the system architecture and algorithms that deliver the capability expected from our world leading products.
- Mechanical engineers are involved in the design and development of our radar and electro-optic products. They utilise state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools to explore all aspects of the development lifecycle, including stress and thermal analysis, requirements analysis, design, implementation, test, build and product support.
From apprentices to highly experienced engineers, we offer a range of engineering career opportunities.
- Engineering Apprentices
- Engineering Graduates
- Engineering Internships and Summer Placements
- Qualified Engineers
As an Engineering Apprentice, a series of rotational placements introduce you to the many aspects of engineering design; covering Mechanical, Electronic, Systems, Software and Quality Engineering undertaken whilst working on live practical tasks and projects.
Apprenticeships across Leonardo offer a foundation from which you are able to experience how the business works and operates, whilst continuing your learning journey and gaining more qualifications within your chosen career path. The business supports day release to college, and has work-based assessors who can help guide you through understanding the practical application of many of the theories that you will learn whilst studying.
Applications are now open for the following engineering apprenticeships, starting in autumn 2019.
|Design Engineering Graduate Apprentice||000002||Edinburgh|
|Design Engineering Technical Apprentice||000004||Edinburgh|
|Software Engineering Graduate Apprentice||000003||Edinburgh|
Helicopters (Based in Yeovil)
As an engineering graduate, you are integrated within your specialist discipline area and immediately work with customers and suppliers on current and future projects at the heart of our business operations.
Applications are now open for the following engineering graduate roles, starting in autumn 2019.
An engineering internship complements your continuous development and study through project delivery as part of an existing integrated project team within the business.
As a qualified engineer, you will have broad experience across several lifecycle phases and must be able to demonstrate a 'through-life’ approach to engineering.
In line with our commitment to skills development, Leonardo supports its engineers – from apprentices upwards – in achieving various industry-recognised qualifications throughout their careers.