Promoting a Diverse and Inclusive Workplace
In order to reach sustainable diversity, fundamental changes are required in a company’s culture and in the way it's managing its people. All these changes can be achieved through actions which must be monitored and compared against the initial targets, while always having the support of top management.
We use several tools to track our progress, supporting our employees and encouraging them to fulfil their potential through:
- A Flexible working policy which offers to our employees the chance to enjoy a balanced life. Our very flexible working arrangements results in almost 100% maternity returners.
- Building workforce awareness about Diversity. Training in Equal Opportunities and Diversity is part of our induction programme alongside Diversity Workshops which take place periodically to enhance understanding among senior line managers given their important role in people development and business success.
- Respect at Work Policies which ensure that all employees are treated with dignity and respect.
- Recruitment Policies and Activities which aim to attract talent from different backgrounds and cultures, and to enhance the job and career satisfaction of our employees.
- Supporting various proactive people initiatives such as Think, Act, Report, 5% Club and Women in Aviation and Aerospace Charter.
- Establishing a Diversity Steering Group which aims to promote awareness, understanding and appreciation of diversity throughout the company. We meet periodically to discuss and agree the future actions in order to improve our Diversity profile and report to the company's senior management.
- Working with several institutional partners to attract more females into engineering, such as Women in Engineering Society (WES).
- A number of Educational Outreach Programmes. Leonardo continues to work with and sponsor local schools and colleges across the UK to promote awareness of engineering and STEM-related subjects. We also support several girls' schools and colleges, encouraging young female students to study subjects such as maths and physics.
- Hosting school visits to our companies’ sites during which our female engineers share their experiences, provide career advice, and give inspirational talks to young female students.
- Supporting a wide range of events, such as the Big Bang Fair where young students and scientists have the chance to develop an insight into Leonardo's exciting projects.